Watched Aliens on the new LG G6.
Haven't found a single flaw. Not sure if it is the excellent 4k remastering of the 1986 cinematic cut or the AI processing in the TV but this is perfect.
It's the practical effects
09-20-2026, 07:21 AM
(This post was last modified: 09-20-2026, 07:21 AM by Besticus Maximus.)
The screenplay is Cameron's best work imo, you can read that shit an see/hear the whole thing
https://www.dailyscript.com/scripts/Aliens_James_Cameron_May_28_1985_first_draft.html
I watched akira in imax. it was badass
also watched the korean monster movie "Hope". might go see it again, and looking forward to the sequel. great creature feature with a twist
We watched I saw the tv glow. Not as good as Miasma but still worth seeing. After watching 2 films now it's clear the director really really wants to be thought of as the next David Lynch. I don't see that happening. Lynch didn't throw random stuff at the screen, or copy other directors. He had a very personal, unique vision. Still, I thought it was a decent effort. It looks great and has some interesting ideas about how media shapes us.
(09-21-2026, 08:37 AM)Snoopy wrote: We watched I saw the tv glow. Not as good as Miasma but still worth seeing. After watching 2 films now it's clear the director really really wants to be thought of as the next David Lynch. I don't see that happening. Lynch didn't throw random stuff at the screen, or copy other directors. He had a very personal, unique vision. Still, I thought it was a decent effort. It looks great and has some interesting ideas about how media shapes us.
It's a good film and it sustains its eery vibe very well imo, but it's not that good. Looking forward to Miasma at the weekend. Resident Evil was really really good.
(09-20-2026, 07:21 AM)Besticus Maximus wrote: The screenplay is Cameron's best work imo, you can read that shit an see/hear the whole thing
https://www.dailyscript.com/scripts/Aliens_James_Cameron_May_28_1985_first_draft.html
It inspired so many things too
- Literally Samus and Metroid including the escape sequence
- "In the pipe, five by five" the dropship VA in Starcraft
- Sgt. Johnson and the Flood in HALO
Most recently the girl from Pragmata looks a lot like Newt
watched nosferatu (1922) with live band playing the score and all the sound effects. great experience and made the movie one of the best I've seen in a theater
https://quarkestra.bandcamp.com/album/nosferatu
Ok a panny 4k blu-ray player is well worth the investment.
The TV was still on eco mode last saturday so it is even brighter now. The panny player unlocks Dolby Vision.
I've never seen a screen this good ever. Not even Cineplex or Dolby Vision cinemas offer this image quality
09-23-2026, 08:09 PM
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2026, 08:09 PM by filler.)
Dust Bunny. A little girl hires a hitman to kill the monster under her bed. Great film. It’s weird. It’s funny. It’s original and it looks really good. After it was finished I went straight on the Apple Store and bought it.
1 user liked this post: filler
I watched The Age of Innocence. It was interesting for a few reasons. I wanted to like it much more than I did...but I did like it.
I felt like Daniel Day-Lewis was kind of playing an any old period piece aristocratic guy. Which was surprising, considering how much he usually dominates a role. At least in my experience.
I also found the wikipedia plot summary somehow slightly moving that actually seeing the events in the movie play out directly. At the same time, I admire Scorsese's commitment to the PG rating. You don't often get a family-friendly version of the doomed-love-triangle story that isn't explicitly aimed at kids/teens. I think that's a shame.
I thought Dangerous Liaisons was better.
Top Gun Maverick in Dolby Vision on a G6 with a stand-alone panny blu-ray player is peak cinema.
Such a shit Millennial movie that one. Just no soul at all.
The Vanishing 1988. I saw some people calling it one of the scariest movies ever made so I thought it'd be pretty fucking scary. Nope. It's good right up until the last part then it spazzes out and becomes completely unrealistic. Maybe the Jeff Bridges version is better
(09-17-2026, 05:48 AM)benji wrote:
Absolute Cinema. 
movie of the year
(09-27-2026, 08:46 AM)Snoopy wrote: The Vanishing 1988. I saw some people calling it one of the scariest movies ever made so I thought it'd be pretty fucking scary. Nope. It's good right up until the last part then it spazzes out and becomes completely unrealistic. Maybe the Jeff Bridges version is better
My favourite part of the vanishing is his new missus following him around moping after the old one all day
(09-27-2026, 10:19 AM)Besticus Maximus wrote: (09-27-2026, 08:46 AM)Snoopy wrote: The Vanishing 1988. I saw some people calling it one of the scariest movies ever made so I thought it'd be pretty fucking scary. Nope. It's good right up until the last part then it spazzes out and becomes completely unrealistic. Maybe the Jeff Bridges version is better
My favourite part of the vanishing is his new missus following him around moping after the old one all day
The serial killer did him a favour. Should have called the film The Upgrade
|